Video 01 - Blind Contour Drawing - Touch and Feel

Welcome and enjoy! :)

Password: JWSL1



tools in this video
Tool List:
watercolor paper
waterproof liner
8-12 basic watercolor set
brush big x1, small x1
towel
cup
camera
*****

I choose the tools that are easy to use, easy to clean and put away, and I will use them for most of my videos. Here’s more information about each one of them:

# watercolor paper
Normally the paper for watercolors is thicker and with heavier texture, it is designed for better water absorbing and not breaking when it is wet. I personally like lighter texture and there are many artists on line using watercolor sketch books. I check information online before I buy art materials, but the best way is to go to the shop and try them out, sometimes there are trial papers to take home.

Before buying paper: First you can use art paper for children (paper used in elementary school art class for example), and if after a couple of practices you feel you are into watercolors, then you can start researching for better paper choices.

# water-proof liner
Any pens can do, as long as it’s not water soluble. The one I am using is my favorite so far, because the ink comes out smoothly.

# basic watercolor kit and brush
Before we do color mixing, I would suggest a ready-watercolor-kit because of its convenience. 8 to 12 colors normally is enough; later on I will make videos about color mixing theories, and you will see that we actually only need 6 to 10 colors for creating a large range of colors.

Color suggestion: the color kit should have red, yellow, blue, purple, brown, the rest is up to you. In general, black and white are not necessary.

Brush suggestion: Get a big one for painting bigger surface and a small one for details.

# buying watercolors: do I choose colors?
The quality of watercolors is about color brilliance and how easy they can be mixed with other colors, that is, good quality watercolors are more brilliant and can be more easily mixed on paper. In the basic watercolor kit you get in stationary stores the colors are fixed, the quality usually is lower, but it’s a good choice for beginners to do color experiments. What I have in the photo are watercolors with better quality, they usually come in kits with this kind of small boxes but are also sold single.

Choosing colors for me is a matter of personal taste. I will do some introduction about what should be taken into consideration when buying colors, but I wouldn’t ask you to buy certain colors other than the basics, because I wish you can, in time, through practice, find your own color palette. So at this point, if you are interested in painting with me, please get a basic kit with reasonable price that suits you.

Comments

Popular Posts